Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Day 52: Race pace

I will sound like a big jerk when I say this, but I am getting a little bored of my running route.

This morning we were running 40 minutes again, but this time at "race pace". I still haven't done that two-mile timed run to give more guidance to mypace, so, not exactly sure what my race or tempo pace is supposed to be, but here's a general overview for reference from the coaches:

Your WARM UP / RECV (recovery) should be easier than your conversational pace.
Your CONVERSATIONAL pace should be easier than your race pace.
Your RACE pace should be easier than your TEMPO effort.
Your TEMPO effort should be easier than your SPRINT/AET (anaerobic threshold) pace.

 I realized I hadn't run down the pier yet so started by heading that way, down to the sea and back, then north on my usual route. Starting at the pier broke things up a bit, and I was back to the start before I knew it.  I was running an average of 10:30 minute miles, which is fast for me, but I guess that's my race pace...if you're talking about a 5k race, unlikely a marathon tho!

What is a tiny bit depressing is that even if I could run a marathon at 10:30 - that is still a 4 hour and 34 minute marathon...I have dreams of a 4 hour and 30 minute marathon! But they fade a bit when faced with having to run at that pace for that long...

Have to keep my eye on the achievable goals -  no broken legs and raising $10k!

Day 52: 3.8 miles
season mileage to date: 100 miles!

No comments: