Sunday, March 02, 2014

Day 50: Rain dance

No one that lives in LA really has the right to complain about the rain.

First and most obviously - drought. We need rain! We need it for the peaches! And the avocados! And for many other things obviously but stone fruit has a special place in my heart. Secondly, I think its rained maybe 4 times since I moved here last year (hence, point 1). Finally, when it does rain its warm! Not that horrible Feb / March rain that we get in the Northeast that chills you to the bone. This is balmy, windy, tropical rain and it is nice. Go out there and play Southern Cali!

I headed down to Manhattan beach for our 8am start - even with the risk of rain, we had a big turnout for our run yesterday morning. We were running on a trail down to Manhattan Beach avenue, down to the pier, back up that damn hill, then out a little ways farther before heading back.

All the groups seem to be doing intervals, and the main difference is how many minutes on (running) or off (walking "with purpose"). Based on my general speed, I had the choice between group 3 and group 4 based on my time and I decided to start with the slower group to see how it was going. I stuck with group 4 until I got down to the pier, then as we headed up the hill, I found myself feeling more on pace with the group ahead so I motored on up to group 3.  As we got to the top of the hill the rain began and it was pretty refreshing for the 2nd 1/2 or so of the run - I've always liked running in the rain, and running in the rain out here where its balmy is pretty fantastic.



East coast or west coast, the team spirit of Team in Training is consistent. The coaches are floating, keeping an eye on you, answering questions, watching your form. Your teammates are there toughing it out themselves but always cheering each other on. Everyone is friendly and supportive and positive - well, maybe that's because our runs are still on the shorter side ;).

The run on the trails felt really nice on my shins and with the intervals of walking, the 5 miles felt like a breeze.

Day 50: 5.0 miles
season mileage to date: 96.2 miles

No comments: