Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Day 31: Braving the elements

The sidewalks were still a slushy-mess, but the roads looked reasonable so I through I should stop being "soft" and head out for a run.  The cold has dissipated and its probably about 45 degrees, which is actually around my favorite running temps because I hate running when its hot and/or sticky out. And while it was raining, it was that spitty, misty rain which is way more bearable than a down pour.

I geared up and decided on a general direction. Today I used the Run Keeper app to track my time and distance because I figured I was not going to be able to keep track of where the hell I was running.

In addition to it being slippery and wet, it was also hilly - what a lovely combination!

My pace was tres slow as I dogged puddles of un-identifiable depth and patches of snow and slowly attacked the hills. My running route is pretty much flat right now, so a little hill training probably did me some good.

Since I was going soooooo slow and I had missed Sunday's run, I decided to extend the run by 15 minutes to make up some of the miles.  I definitely could have run for longer and it was nice to be reminded that when going slow, I can run for a long time.

When I got back I did my strengthening exercises which, after a run, definitely aren't as easy as they probably should be - especially that heel walking stuff.

I head back to LA tomorrow and will make it to my first practice! We are doing my *least* favorite practice which is more or less running as fast as you can without killing yourself for two miles. It promises to be good times!

today's run:  3.4 miles
season mileage to date: 50.6 miles

No comments: