Saturday, February 08, 2014

Day 29: A mile leap

I'm headed to Portland later where all are experiencing a lovely snow storm. Given that, as my boss likes to say, California has made me "soft", I decided to do my long run today, then tomorrow I'll only have to run 30 minutes in the ice and slush.

As I always am when there is a mileage leap - yeah yeah I know its just one lousy mile! - I was a little nervous because I just hate getting to the end of a run and feeling like I'm going to keel over. I kept that in mind as I tried to keep my pace nice and easy. I deliberately held back, even when I was feeling good enough to go faster. I left my phone at home (I still haven't found my damn watch) and just enjoyed the clear morning.

I did a down and back route and was pleasantly surprised when I got to the turn around point - I was there before I had two long to think about it, and I was feeling like I definitely had another "half" in me without a problem.

From there it was pretty enjoyable, each landmark bringing me closer to the finish (aka my apartment) AND I felt like if push came to shove, I could run another mile. Which is how you're supposed to end one of those runs - yay for me!

And now...PDX, take two.

today's run:  4 miles
season mileage to date: 47.2 miles

No comments: