Sunday, February 09, 2014

Day 30: Portland on ice

Portland is a crystalized chilly mess at the moment. The snow from the last three days turned to frozen rain and ice, leaving everything crunchy and slippery. There was no way I was going to be able to run today so took the opportunity to start the strength-training routine one of the coaches gave me.

I'll be doing these bad boys three times a week and in 5-6 weeks time the coaches say I should feel a noticeable difference, and in the meantime working my way towards being stronger, more stable and less injury-prone.

Here's my little routine complete with some quality demonstration videos:

Body Weight Squats - 2 sets of 10 reps

Step Ups - 2 sets of 15 reps for each leg

Heel walking - 3 sets of 45 seconds

IT Band Strengthening - 2 sets of 12 reps for each leg

The step ups and the heel walking were hardest - the step ups I started on a chair that was definitely way too tall and did the second set on some steps. The heel walking is awkward and gets painful towards the end so can totally see how that is going to get my calves in shape.

Hopefully things will melt enough for me to try out running over here on the other side of Portland tomorrow.


No comments: