Thursday, January 25, 2007

Ever thought about running a marathon? (I bet the answer is yes.)

To run a marathon. It's something less than 1% of the population accomplish, but you've thought about it. Maybe you like to run, but never get beyond 5 miles. Or you hate to run, but every year when you watch the nyc or boston marathon...you think..."wow, I wish I could do that." On the other hand, perhaps it's something you've always dreamed of, but you don't know where to start.

Start here. Come run the San Diego Marathon with me and Team in Training.

Team in Training raises money to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The mission of the LLS is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Since it's humble beginnings in Rye, NY, when a team of 38 people raised over $300,000 for the Society, Team in Training has grown into the world's largest endurance sports training program and has raised over $720 million dollars for the LLS. In exchange for fundraising for this very amazing organization, you get access to an amazing, professional and knowledgeable coaching staff, as well as the support of the TNT staff & a group of people just like you: your teammates. Regardless of your level of running expertise, the training provided by TNT will get you across the finish line.

How do I know? On January 14th, I completed my first marathon. Before I signed up in July, the thought of running a marathon had crossed my mind, but only in a fleeting, wistful fashion. Even after I signed up, I had my doubts...my longest run before I started was probably 3 miles. On a treadmill. With stops. But after the great coaching and support from the TNT staff and all the friends I made, I ran 26.2 miles in a little over 5 hours, and had a smile on my face the whole time.

And if that isn't testimonial enough - I'll be running San Diego in June. Non-runner turned running addict. It's a little crazy, I know, I never could have guessed it. And, if you have any concerns about the fund-raising, yours truly is Fundraising Captain for the season (for NYC), and will be dedicated to helping you reach and surpass your goals (I promise not to make you auction off any body-parts, that's purely optional.)

Curious? Come to an info session. I'll be at the second one listed below, but you can attend any. You can even try out a practice if you like. Not in NYC? Just go to teamintraining.org and search for the chapter closest to you. If you have any questions, I'm happy to chat (in fact, you might have to let me know when to stop). And I'll leave you with this thought, which you may not believe, but I'm the proof.

Anyone can run a marathon, if you commit to do it.

Hope to see you out there...

Tuesday, January 30
7:00pm
Citibank Building
1 Court Square
Intersection of 44th Drive & Jackson Ave.
50th Floor - Citiview Room

Wednesday, February 7 - also KICKOFF!!
6:30pm
630 Second Avenue
(between 34th & 35th St)

No comments: